Examination

The first part of the examination will be this Wednesday, as I explained in the last class. Just to remind you, I expect to see that you have chosen a question from the list of questions (see the last post), that you have done some independent research (you can show me your notes to demonstrate this), that you have brainstormed to generate diverse ideas (again, I expect to see notes to show this), that you have chosen a central claim for your essay and that you have begun to plan it.

In order to be very clear then, what you need to show me in the class on Wednesday is the following. Please bring everything to class. You do not need to hand it in, but I want to see it and to discuss it with each one of you.

• evidence of research (notes, statistics, web addresses, etc.)
  • evidence of brainstorming (lists of ideas, diagrams, flow charts, etc.)
  • your planned central claim (the ‘thesis statement’ that will form the basis of your argument – this should be one sentence)
  • an outline plan of the essay (a list of paragraphs with notes on the content)

You do not need to write the essays for this week. I want to talk through your plans with you before you write the final draft.

OK Рgood luck! If you have any questions, please post them here.

10 Responses to “Examination”

1. Ground Li says:

Dear Jon,
    I’d like to learn the eaxct meaning of “notes”,in my plan of the essay,how can I take notes?Is it quotation from the text I read?
    Thank you very much.

2. Jon says:

Hi – thanks for the question.

I don’t mind – you should make notes that will be helpful to you in writing the essay. I’m sure you must all be used to making notes in Chinese for your other classes – I just want you to do the same thing in English. The notes don’t need to be long, but they do need to show where they came from, and they need to be relevant to the question you have chosen and your plan.

Your notes might include some quotations, but don’t simply copy out another source.

I hope that’s clear. If not, feel free to ask again.

Jon

3. tony says:

Hi.Jon
    i am writing the essay “the coursework and the final exam”
    i am the opponent of the coursework
    first i play the devil’s advocate:talk about the advantages of the final exam
    then i defeat those arguments and advance my argument:why the coursework is better
    finally,i want to mediate the contradiction of the two,suggest the whole marks of a student should be divided equally into 2 part :the coursework and the final exam so that we can absorb both essences
    how do you like the solution?

4. shirlayn says:

Hi,Jon
    I wonder when should we hand our essays in?

5. betty says:

Jone,I am so sorry because I did not go to last class.I had fever that day, and I don’t know that in the class you will communicate with us one by one. If I know it, even though I have a fever ,I will go. I am so sorry.Can you give me another chance to present my plan to you? I am Betty.

6. Jon says:

Shirlayn – the essays are due in on Wednesday in our class.

Betty – we can talk about it on Wednesday. I hope you are better.

7. Jerry says:

Dear Jon,
    I want to know that do I need to make out a title for my essay,or no title is also all right?

8. Jon says:

Jerry – thanks for the question. The questions on the exam paper *are* the titles. You are not free to make your own titles for the exam, you must stick to the titles I gave you. This is so everyone has the same choice of questions so the exam is fair.

Tony – Sounds good to me. Show me your finished essay and I’ll give you more detail.

9. Athena says:

hey,Jon,i heared that you’ve got sick,sorry for that ……..are you feeling better now?
    i have handed on my essay this afternoon
    wish you get recovered soon,it feels terrible to get some disease in an alien country

10. tony says:

hi,Jon
    i am sorry to hear that you are sick
    hope you will recover soon
    please take good care of yourself ,especially in such a sweltering summer